At the risk of conjuring up images of Mike Allen in a “kiss the cook” apron, Politico interviewed D.C.-based Chef Geoff Tracy (a.k.a Mr. Norah O’Donnell) to get some Independence Day grilling tips for “political junkies.” Whatever fun you want to poke at Tracy, the well-done video was created by Alexander Trowbridge and Madeleine Marshall.
Political junkies are apparently not too bright. Some of Geoff’s tips:
- Keep the grill “nice and clean” with a grill brush.
- Preheat the grill to “get it all sort of going.”
- Season meat and leave it sitting out as the grill preheats.
OK, now for the more experienced grillers:
- Spray meat with Canola spray, which is “the key to getting good grill marks.”
- Avoid burning down the house by not putting freshly marinated meat on the grill.
- Meat thermometers read up to 220F degrees; chicken is finished cooking. between 160 and 165, beef between 125 and 130. And whatever other dumb thing you do, do not use a candy thermometer for meat.
- Geoff recommends picking an American beer on the fourth of July: “It’s an American way of doing things,” he says.
At the end of the video, CBS Chief White House Correspondent Norah O’Donnell, Tracy’s wife, shows up to taste the burger. Suffice it to say she didn’t do an imitation of Kim Kardashian in the Carl’s Jr. commercials.