Journalist Darleene Powells, she of the three “E”s, keeps KCBS’s website news-a-licious. She blogs, she takes photographs, she’s all in love with her husband. She answered our uncannily revealing, albeit vapid, questions.
1. What newspapers do you read? It’s been a while since I regularly read a print newspaper. I, do however, get daily email summaries from the LA Times and the Daily News. I also read the Ventura County Star pages that my husband designs.
2. Which ones do you move your lips to while reading? Heehee. I haven’t moved my lips to reading since my Baby-Sitters Club Days.
3. Which Web sites are on your favorites–besides FBLA? I’m obsessed with local LA websites. I always read cbs2.com (of course!), LAO, Metroblogging LA and Franklin Avenue. Cute Overload, I Can Has Cheezburger?, Basic Instructions and Go Fug Yourself always make me laugh. I also like to read Luke Ford, The God Blog and Friendly Fire. I often like to see what my buddy and coworker beFrank is doing.
4. Where do you get your car washed? Um. What does that mean? What is this washing of the car?
5. Do you know your dentist’s first name? Heh. No. I hardly know his last name or the name of his practice. I think its in Calabasas?
6. Do you believe newspapers are going to die? If so, when? I don’t believe they’ll die, they’re just going to evolve. In an interview a long time ago, someone asked me how I thought newspapers would end up in the near future. They weren’t happy when I speculated that it might be that newspaper websites will become the first place for publication, and the print newspaper the place for summaries. What needs to die is this mindset that websites are a tool to promote the product. Um, guys — websites are now the product.
7. What was the last book you read?
I’m reading a couple of books — for some reason I keep reading The Other Boleyn Girl. I’ve been in the middle of Wicked for the last six months. Possibly the last new book I actually completed was Dinner With a Perfect Stranger.
8 .What’s the last book you say you read? My iBook.
9. If you got a unicorn what would you name it? Star Sprinkle! Sorry, I apologize for the obscure Rainbow Brite reference
10. What does your TiVo think about you? Tivo thinks I like to watch stuff over and over and over…
11. Character of fiction you most resemble? Most resemble physically or in personality? I kind of feel an affinity with Ugly Betty’s Betty, both physically and in personality. She’s braver than I am, though.
12. Who plays you in your bio-pic? Salma Hayek — I wish. Maybe a Bollywood actress, since strangers always ask if I’m Indian.
13. Do you floss? Yes, but probably not as often as I should. Isn’t that a TMI-type question?
14. Did you ever believe your toys come alive when you leave the room? Do you still? Um, toys? Sheesh, I must have been deprived.
15. How many old cell phones do you own? I don’t think I have any left, since I try to recycle them. Although, last time I did that, I did it too soon and didn’t get some phone numbers I needed from my old phone.
16. Best show legendary biz/movie star encounter. When I was in high school, my siblings and I played laser tag with David Hasselhoff and his family at Circus Circus. I had completely forgotten it until a few months ago, after the drunken video debacle. Last year, I tried to take a picture of Ray Liotta in a jury waiting room, but he thought that wasn’t appropriate.
17. Do you get satellite radio? No
18. And as a follow do you “get” satellite radio? I think I get it, but its one of those things that’s just not for me. I only listen to the radio in the car, and I try not to be in my car as much as possible.
19. Do you read the Enquirer/InTouch/US/People? No, but I read some website equivalents.
20. Do you lie about it? Nah. It takes too much energy to lie.
- Wired and USC Launch Online Masters Class
- Quentin Tarantino, Movie Theater Owner
- News Corp. Buys Online Realty Business
- Get Ready for Playboy Latino