As a Communications Specialist for the J. Paul Getty Trust, Mike Winder spreads the word on activities at Getty Center and the Getty Villa. He studied creative writing at UCLA, wrote for
Alternative and Los Angeles CityBeat, and now uses those creative talents to answer our inane questions.
1. What newspapers do you read? Every morning I read the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily News, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal cover to cover. Then I go back to bed.
2. Which ones do you move your lips to while reading? I tend to stumble over the word “nuclear” wherever it appears in print.
3. Which websites are on your favorites bookmarks? Well, Fishbowl LA goes without saying. I also love Slashdot Games, Engadget, and LAObserved.
4. Where do you get your car washed?The Sherman Oaks Car on Ventura Blvd. It’s conveniently located near my in-law’s house.
5. Do you know your dentist’s first name? Kenneth. I just saw him last month. I’ve got a brand new filling with his name on it.
6. Do you believe newspapers are going to die? If so, when? They’ll never die. Like any living, breathing, entity, they’ll just evolve over time. Unless you believe in Intelligent Design. In that case, they’ll die when Jesus returns.
7. What was the last book you read? Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. It’s a frightening dystopian tale of Southern California in the not-so-distant future. Nobody can afford to drive anymore, so they all walk along the freeways. On the plus side, everybody has calves of steel.
8 .What’s the last book you say you read? I’d like to say Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. That behemoth’s been taunting me from my bookshelf for over a decade now.
9. If you got a unicorn what would you name it? Scooter.
10. What does your TiVo think about you? Shiver me timbers, is that scallywag ever going to delete Blackbeard: Terror at Sea?
11. Character of fiction you most resemble? I’ve always had a soft spot for Charles Marlow in Heart of Darkness.
12. Who plays you in your bio-pic? Dave Grohl. Sans the gum smacking.
13. Do you floss? Only when Kenneth gives me a hard time.
14. Did you ever believe your toys come alive when you leave the room? Do you still? No, but that’s a horribly frightening thing to imagine.
15. How many old cell phones do you own? None. I recycle them through the LA Bureau of Sanitation’s S.A.F.E. (Solvents/Automotive/Flammables/Electronics) program. And you should too!
16. Best show legendary biz/movie star encounter. I saw Stephen Hawking up at the Getty a few weeks ago. That counts, right?
17. Do you get satellite radio? Yes, I have Sirius. I’m a huge Howard Stern fan.
18. And as a follow up, do you “get” satellite radio? Absolutely. I can now recite all seven dirty words from memory.
19. Do you read the Enquirer/InTouch/US/People? No, but those WENN news items on IMDB are widely read in my house.
20. Do you lie about it? I cannot tell a lie.
FBLA 20 Questions
- The Twelve Days of Cosby
- First-Ever People Magazine Awards to Air Tonight on NBC
- Here's an Example of How Comedians Are Joking About Cosby
- Britney Spears (We Think) Covers Women's Health