— DIANE CLEHANE
The morning monsoon that shut down the city for several hours kept all but the true diehards away today at 55th & Fifth. Even general manager Steve Millington was kept from his post due to a weather-related nanny nightmare (we can relate). Others, like our pal Jaqui Lividini, arrived breathless due to today’s stifling heat and annoying lack of cabs. The fashion maven recovered her cool before being joined by Teen Vogue‘s Amy Astley, a newly minted member of the International Best Dressed List. (Check out the full list of fab fashionistas — including Posh & Becks and the always dreamy George Clooney in Vanity Fair‘s gigantic September issue). Memo to Mike Bloomberg: Why don’t you stop waging your will-he-or-won’t he run for president, declare August a citywide holiday and put us all out of our misery?’
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Four suits — one, we’re told was a Fox News bigwig (obviously someone else was charged with bailing out the drenched mothership) — tucking into cobb salads.
2. The soul of Manolo Blahnik, George Malkemus — looking dapper in a blue blazer — dining with two guests.
3. Jack Myers and two jacketed gents.
4. Portfolio’s David Carey
5. Bill Siegal(Herb’s son).
6. Allen & Co.’s John Josephson with a table full of young turks and one mystery gal.
7. The man himself, Michael McCarty, dishing with John Hilton. We’re assuming he’s part of that Hilton clan. I wanted to ask how Paris was doing since being sprung from the slammer but I just couldn’t bring myself to utter her name in public …
8. New York Social Diary’s David Patrick Columbia and Rita Jamais, the former owner of La Caravelle.