But please, call her Judith.
The September issue of Vanity Fair has an extensive takedown piece on Judith Giuliani authored by Judy Bachrach. Page Six said it described Giuliani as an “opportunistic, puppy-killing homewrecker who has a full-time hairstylist and needs an extra seat on plans for ‘Baby Louis,’ her Luis Vuitton handbag.” Pretty brutal, but the article is even worse. Much worse than the relatively sympathetic profile of her in New York magazine. Highlights/lowlights:
- From the first anniversary commemorations of 9/11: “Senator Hillary Clinton stood in the aisleâ€”until she was unceremoniously pushed by a phalanx of four burly cops entering the tent, these guarding Judith Nathan, Giuliani’s girlfriend. No apologies were offered, one observer noted … “The nerve of that woman!” Hillary exploded, recalling that her own daughter’s Secret Service detail evaporated soon after Bill Clinton left office. Why should an ex-mayor’s girlfriend get such royal treatment? “Who does she think she is?” Hillary said to an observer, who later recounted the story.”
- Nursing school grad? Not really: “It seemed that she had gone to Pennsylvania State nursing school, as The New York Times once reported, but she had not. She completed two years of nursing school, but left hospital work before a year was up. Nonetheless, Giuliani has publicly referred to her “expertise” in “biological and chemical” disasters, and believes she would be a help in the event of an anthrax attack.”
- Cigar bar owner Elliot Cuker was asked to lie about how Judi met Giuliani: “Around a year ago, Cuker has told friends, he was pressed to back up a version worthy of a potential president and First Lady. Specifically, Cuker has confided, he was told to say it was he who formally introduced the couple at his restaurant. He pointedly refused. “It pissed Elliot off that he was asked to lie for them,” says a friend, who adds that Giuliani and Cuker are no longer close.”
- At her first job, as a salesperson for U.S. Surgical, Judi Guiliani was trained to use dogs in medical demonstrations: “”Every salesperson at U.S. Surgical was trained for six weeks with dogs at Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, and that was really brutal,” explains a former employee. “They spent days and days with dogs, taking out the spleen or stomach or the lobe of a lung. Then if the dog started moaning or fidgeted, whoever was closest would push more sedative into him from the syringe. It was horrible. Then the dog would be killed with potassium chloride.”"
- First husband Bruce Nathan claimed in divorce proceedings that she’s a bit of an anti-semite: “Pretty soon these friends heard the same stories that would eventually find their way into court papers: Bruce would claim that his wife called him “‘a kike,’ when I couldn’t afford something; ‘a rich little kike,’ … ‘Jew boy.’” Certainly he felt they had entirely different ambitions. “Unlike my wife, I was not a social climber,” he would later observe. “My wife’s ‘main goal’ in life was being involved with whatever was ‘the in-thing’ at the moment … the ‘right church’ … the ‘right people’; adopting a child for status purposes.”
- Diva-ish behavior? Totally: “An organizer of a recent fashion shoot received a call from one of Rudy’s business associates warning her to address his wife as Judith. According to this source, Judith became so smitten with the dress she was modeling “that she simply didn’t want to take it off. She didn’t offer to pay. She made it very clear she wanted it for free. You know how it is when someone stalls.” Instead, says this source, Judith kept repeating a kind of mantra: “I’m a sample size, I’m a sample size.”
- She once endangered Rudy’s life: “In a massive Baden-Baden hotel suite five years ago, an observer tells me, a loud quarrel erupted when Judith pointedly denied one of her husband’s requests. She refused to remove her toiletries case from a bedroom reserved for a policeman, claiming it would be bothersome, since the case was already unpacked. In Mexico, I am told, at a time when security was very tight and armored S.U.V.’s were deemed necessary, she asked her husband to leave the car to retrieve a bag of health bars she had mislaid.”
- And, yes, there’s the handbag: “Around the office of Giuliani Partners, it is said, Sunny Mindel, Giuliani’s communications director, spoke of the need for providing an entire plane seat for Judith’s “Baby Louis”â€”a reference to her Louis Vuitton handbag, which sits in solitary splendor on her travels.”