CBS News chief Sean McManus and Couric last summer during CBS’ ‘dog-and-pony show’ for the media
Coverage of the EP shuffle at the CBS Evening News:
- TVNewser: Rome Hartman was let go as the executive producer of the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, a CBS insider says.
- AP: “CBS News on Thursday is expected to fire the executive producer of Katie Couric‘s struggling ‘CBS Evening News’ broadcast and appoint former CNN and MSNBC president Rick Kaplan to the job.” … “Many in the industry believed too many people were offering input and there wasn’t a clear sense of who was in charge.”
- NYT: Hartman was told after last night’s newscast.
- CBS News: Kaplan “worked at CBS for a decade early in his career, including a period as an associate producer for the CBS Evening News when Walter Cronkite ruled the airwaves as the ‘most trusted man in America.’” He also was at MSNBC when Couric was at Today.
- Hollywood Reporter: “The network wants a harder-edged, faster-paced newscast than has been seen in the six months since Couric took to the air.”