FishbowlNY FishbowlDC LostRemote InsideMobileApps InsideSocialGames 10,000 Words TVNewser TVSpy AgencySpy PRNewser MediaJobsDaily UnBeige

Penguin Random House

Bertelsmann May Want to Buy More Shares of Penguin Random House

Penguin Random House LogoRumors are swirling that Bertelsmann SE will be making inquiries with Pearson PLC about increasing its ownership of Penguin Random House.

Currently, Bertelsmann controls 53% of the company while Pearson holds the remaining 47%. Some say that the executives at Pearson would be very willing to entertain conversations about this venture. Under its the shareholders agreement, Pearson will be able to sell some or all of its shares starting in October 2015.

Here’s more from Bloomberg: “Penguin Random House, the world’s largest book publisher, could be valued at 2.3 billion euros ($2.9 billion), based on a median multiple of 6.3 times paid for book publishers in the past three years and the target’s 2013 earnings. A buyout would give Bertelsmann — which has a war chest of several billion dollars according to Chief Executive Officer Thomas Rabe — more flexibility in running the business as the media house tightens its television, online, and print operations.” What do you think this would mean for the future of Penguin Random House?

Mediabistro Course

Personal Essay Writing

Personal Essay WritingStarting October 28, work with a published journalist to draft, edit, and sell your first-person essays! Jessica Olien will help you to workshop your writing so that it's ready to pitch to editors. You'll learn how to tell your personal story, self-edit you work to assess voice, style, and tone, and sell your essays for publication. Register now!

Universal Pictures Forms Partnership With Penguin Random House

UniversalUniversal Pictures has signed a two-year, first-look, production deal with Penguin Random House.

Universal will examine the publishing house’s recent publications, upcoming releases, backlist titles, and original ideas for movie projects. This also means that the Random House Studio (RHS) team will serve as a producer on future films. Back in 2005, RHS had launched a co-venture with Focus Features.

Here’s more from The Hollywood Reporter: “RHS recently renewed its partnership with Universal division Focus Features through 2016, but the new pact will expand ‘the scope of what we’re able to do,’ says RHS president Peter Gethers, who will oversee the new agreement. ‘Universal has a broader mandate and the ability to get bigger projects and bigger authors.’”

Penguin Random House Unveils New Logo

Penguin Random House LogoPenguin Random House has unveiled its new logo.

The original logos of the 250 imprints within the company will be retained. The executives plan to print the new company brand image alongside the imprint logos on the spines of books. The animated video embedded below features several examples to illustrate how this would look.

Here’s more from the press release: “The new corporate wordmark underscores the importance of the written word to the company’s culture and work and will most often be paired with one of Penguin Random House’s 250 widely recognized and respected publishing divisions, imprints, and brands. The brand system, as this pairing design framework is called, is flexible and can be employed not just at the publishing level, but also territorially.”
Read more