This year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of Leo Lionni‘s Swimmy. This beloved picture book won a Caldecott Honor back in 1964.
Random House Children’s Books has released a special edition of the book today. It contains a poster and an introduction written by The Very Hungry Caterpillar author Eric Carle.
Below, we’ve rounded up a few ways to celebrate the anniversary.
3 Ways To Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Swimmy
1. Plan a read-a-thon. Throughout his career, Lionni created more than 40 children’s books.
2. Host a collage art-making party. Lionni used unconventional materials like napkins and doilies to create the illustrations for Swimmy.
- A Steampunk Version of 'Wind of the Willows' is on Kickstarter
- Children's Book Art Auction is Running Through December 3rd
- National Book Award Winner Cynthia Kadohata on Self-Editing: "It involves a lot of flailing around."
- Stan Lee's Kids Universe Now Available Through myON Catalog