Host Howard Kurtz asked Time Magazine (and frequent cable news/ABC News contributor) Mark Halperin, “If a Republican had not taken public financing and had raised all that money, and the Democrat was struggling financially, wouldn’t we see a lot of stories about one candidate essentially trying to buy the election?”
Halperin didn’t hold back:
We would. We’d also see a lot of stories about his going back on his word saying that he would accept the public money and would reach out to Senator McCain to try to work out a deal. So I think this is a case of a clear, unambiguous double standard, and any reporter who doesn’t ask themselves, ‘Why is that, why would it be different if it’s a Republican?’ I think is doing themselves and our profession and our democracy a disservice.
• Earlier: TVNewser interviewed Halperin at the CNN/TIME Politics ’08 conference, where he called the press “irresponsible” for their coverage during the campaign. Click continued to see that interview…
- C-SPAN Gearing Up for Midterm Elections
- James Foley's Brother: More Could've Been Done 'Directly on Jim's Behalf'
- Did Obama White House Get Initial Insight on Ferguson From Al Sharpton?
- Chris Jansing's Interview with Senator, Doctor, Possible Presidential Contender Rand Paul