The 19th annual First Amendment Awards Dinner, hosted by RTNDF, took place last night in Washington, D.C., and FishbowlDC’s Christine Delargy writes about the crowd — from former White House press secretary Dana Perino to CBS’ Lara Logan — and event.
In accepting the award last night, Roberts turned the lens on her hometown of New Orleans, saying news coverage there, and in many other locales, exacerbates racial tension: “[T]here’s a big difference between a couple of thoughtful people trying to get to some solution and a shoutfest where the shouter is seeking attention and the broadcaster is hoping for ratings.”
• More: Politico’s Patrick Gavin also attended the awards ceremony, and talked to emcee Chris Matthews and Donaldson about their favorite current White House correspondents and more. Video is after the jump…
- The Awards Ticker: Ward's Award, Damon's Honor, Ramos' Best
- Kathie Lee Gifford Accepts Regis Philbin's 'Giant of Broadcasting' Award
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai Told Amy Robach She Did 'Not Deserve' to Win
- Robin Roberts Receives Walter Cronkite Award