To celebrate the end of 2010, Twitter has released an interactive app commemorating “Who’s New on Twitter“. The microblogging platform saw more than 100 million new accounts in 2010, and they’ve highlighted the high-profile, celebrity newbies for the year’s end. Here are the five most interesting faces we found when browsing who’s new on Twitter.
- Bill Gates – Gates joined on January 2010, so he was an early newbie to the scene. His first post reads: “Hello World.” Hard at work on my foundation letter – publishing on 1/25.” Twitter is a great place for Gates to network for his foundation, so it’s great see to his face there!
- The Dalai Lama – His Holiness the Dalai Lama joined Twitter in February, showing the world that spirituality doesn’t have to be at odds with technology. His tweets are quite inspirational, and they all project his message of love, compassion and understanding. A great addition to Twitter, we think.
- Kanye West – West has been a gem of an addition to Twitter, signing up in August 2010. Since then, he’s posted so many… well, we can only call them “Kanye-isms”. You’ve really got to check his account out for yourself – or watch Kanye’s tweets, reenacted by kids!
- Donald Rumsfeld’s Office – Rumsfeld has a Twitter presence. It might not be the most exciting read for some, but he does give his opinions on some major current events, like the WikiLeaks scandal.
- Tiger Woods – Woods had a Twitter account for over a year, but it remained relatively inactive until November 2010. Since his first real tweet on November 17th (“What’s up everyone. Finally decided to try out twitter!”), he’s gotten over 300,000 new followers.
You can see the entire interactive app of who joined Twitter in 2010 here.
- Sunnybrook Hospital To Live Tweet Heart Surgery
- Check Out This Incredible, Amazing, Mind-Blowingly Detailed Map Of The Internet
- #NestingTwitter: Buy Twitter Founders As Russian Dolls From The Creator Of The Fail Whale
- Follow The Adventures Of Four Elephants On Twitter