The Daily Meal doubled the size of its outside expertise this year to rank the nation’s 101 best restaurant pizzas. Under the guidance of executive editor Arthur Bovino, a panel of 46 judges including pizzaquest.com’s Peter Reinhart and I Dream of Pizza’s Jason Feirman narrowed it down from a field of 400 carefully chosen candidates.
The good news is that three of the top ten pies are made right here in the NYC area. The bad news is that all three lost out the top spot to a joint in Connecticut:
1) Frank Pepe’s, New Haven, CT: White Clam Pizza
[Clams, grated Parmesan, olive oil, garlic, oregano]
2) Di Fara, Brooklyn, NY: Classic Round Pie
[Mozzarella, parmesan, plum tomato sauce, basil, olive oil, sausage, peppers, mushroom, onion]
6) Roberta’s, Brooklyn: Margherita
9) Motorino, New York City: Brussels Sprout
[Fior di latte, garlic, Pecorino, smoked pancetta, olive oil]
We may have to start talking about the water in New Haven. Because in addition to the renowned Frank Pepe’s flagship, there are two other area pizza eateries at the top of The Daily Meal’s 2013 rankings – Sally’s Apizza (#7) and Modern Apizza (#11). Full list here.
A rep for The Daily Meal tells FishbowlNY today’s compilation is getting a lot of attention in San Francisco and Chicago especially, with outlets in both cities suggesting the site has done a better job with this tricky topic than TripAdvisor (see below). We also imagine that the gang at Ghigiarelli’s in Old Forge, PA is a little more quietly grateful to have nailed down the #101 spot.
Previously on FishbowlNY:
TripAdvisor Delivers Some Ridiculous Pizza News
- Advocate Shares Some Farm-to-Mainstream-Media-Table Tips
- NYT Article Has New Orleans Exclaiming 'What the Kale!?'
- Malaysian Journalist Adds Michelin Star
- New York Magazine Restaurant Critic Decides It's Time to Lose the Fake Anonymity