— DIANE CLEHANE
The mood may have been a little low-key today at Michael’s, but we spotted plenty of power players dining and dishing about their next big moves. I was intrigued to see former MTV colleagues John Sykes (now Playlist’s CEO) and Tom Freston chatting over lunch. Turns out the guys are both on (Product) Red’s board and are very enthusiastic about HBO’s upcoming documentary The Lazarus Effect which chronicles the effort being undertaken by the Global Fund to bring lifesaving drugs to Africans with AIDS.
“The title comes from the Bible and it’s truly amazing to see the results they have been getting,” John told me. The idea that marketing T-shirts and sunglasses can have a life-changing effect on dying patients with little hope of survival is truly news worth passing on. John also tells me that HBO is going to work with other companies like Playlist to make sure as many people as possible see the film.
I was joined today by Lisa Linden, CEO of Linden Alschuler & Kaplan Public Relations. Besides repping some of the biggest names in New York, Linda is a vice chair of The New York League of Conservation Voters and is working like mad on their upcoming spring gala. The big event is scheduled for May 17 and plenty of Gotham’s power players will be making an appearance. Mayor Michael Bloomberg will give the keynote, and this year’s honorees are: Julie Menin, chairman of Manhattan Community Board 1; Frank Sciame of F.J. Sciame Construction; eco-organizer Billy Parish, who co-founded Warner Music Group’s Green Owl Records, a green music label; and New York University. Comedian Mo Rocca is sure to keep things lively as the evening’s emcee. We’re calling for tickets now.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Charlie Rose (in pinstripes and white Jack Purcells) and an elegantly attired lady no one seemed to know.
7. Lisa Linden and yours truly
9. Kerzner International’s president Jerry Inzerillo and pals
11. Vogue‘s super stylish associate publisher Lottie Oakley with a dapper fellow
12. Discovery ID’s main man Henry Schleiff
14. Two Degrees Venture’s Mitch Kanner
15. Hearst’s Ellen Levine looking better than ever!
16. Carlisle Collections’ William Rondina
18. Conde Nast’s Charles Townsend
20. My good friend, producer Joan Gelman
21. Quest‘s Chris Meigher
22. Filmmaker Don Rosenfield
23. Depatures‘ editor in chief Richard David Story
24. EMI’s Hunter Murtaugh
25. Producer Steven Haft
26. Paramount Studio’s Don Demesquita
28. Jay Springer
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.
- Walter Isaacson, Harvey Weinstein and Johnny Weir I Linda Fairstein Emcees Authors In Kind
- Michael Strahan, Maria Shriver and Dishing With LuAnn de Lesseps
- Bette Midler, Al Roker & Bravo's Bickering Brokers From Million Dollar Listing New York
- Carole Radziwill on Her New Book and Dueling With Bravo's Delusional Diva