Kerry Sanders Temporarily Blinded After Hours of Live Shots: ‘The UV Light Was Slowly Burning My Corneas’
Florida-based correspondent Kerry Sanders has ducked bullets and crawled through minefields covering the news for NBC. But he faced an even more dangerous situation outside a Florida courthouse last month: a malfunctioning TV light.
Sanders was temporarily blinded while covering the Michael Dunn trial in Jacksonville.
“I was in front of a TV camera from 7:30am until 5:30pm reporting for the TODAY Show, MSNBC and Nightly News,” writes Sanders. “The HMI light malfunctioned and the UV light was slowly burning my corneas, as well as frying the skin on my face. Not only could I not see, but my eyes burned in pain as if two hot coals smoldered in my sockets. The darkness lasted a frightening 36-hours. I still see foggy halos and out-of-focus views. The doctors say my eyesight will eventually return to normal.”
Sanders continues: “How did this happen? And how can I warn other TV reporters so it doesn’t happen to you?” Read the whole ordeal, after the jump…