I'm a Pulitzer Prize-nominated journalist, #1 bestselling author and former magazine executive editor who is available for a variety of writing and editing jobs. I worked for two decades at the Los Angeles Daily News, The Press-Enterprise and other newspapers. I write for Reuters, Newsmax, National Wildlife and other media outlets. During my career, I've won more than two dozen writing awards, 2011 and 2012 Eddie Awards, two 2015 Charlie Awards, was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize and was featured as an investigative reporter in The McGraw-Hill Companies book, Careers For Puzzle-Solvers & Other Methodical Thinkers. I'm a member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the nation's premier association of nonfiction writers who have met ASJA's exacting standards of professional achievement. I'm co-author of a No. 1 bestselling Hachette investigative book.
Magazine - Large Consumer/National magazines
Newspaper - National
Total Media Industry Experience
Media Client List (# assignments last 2 yrs)
Bankrate.com (7 million readers) (6-10), Reuters (1 billion readers) (10+), Newsmax (15 million readers) (10+), Outreach (30,000 circ.) (6-10), Pacific Research Institute (6-10), Rebel (100,000 circ.) (6-10), Watchdog.org (1.2 million readers) (6-10), Charisma (5 million readers) (10+), MainJustice.com (3-5), NBIZ Magazine (30,000 circ.) (3-5), Inland Empire (190,000 circ.) (3-5), Angies List (3-5), Human Events (1.4 million readers) (3-5), Consumers Digest (700,000 circ.) (1-2), Los Angeles Daily Journal (20,000 circ.) (1-2), National Wildlife (650,000 circ.) (1-2)
Corporate Client List (# assignments last 2 yrs)
Gener8Xion Entertainment (10+), WDC Media (10+), SpareFoot (6-10), Los Angeles County Business Federation (6-10), Significant Federation (3-5), Breck Designs (1-2)
Other Work History
- Magazine Writer / Bestselling Author / Filmmaker / Speaker (2016-Present)
- Charisma and Charisma Media (5 million readers): Executive Editor (2014-2016)
- Magazine Writer / Reuters (2011-2014)
- The Press-Enterprise (2 million readers): Editorial Writer / Assistant Editorial Page Editor (2011)
- Los Angeles Daily News (2.5 million readers): County Government / Enterprise Reporter (1999-2010)
- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin: Local Government / Investigative Reporter (1997-1998)
- Medford Mail Tribune: Police / General Assignment Reporter (1996)
- Nevada Appeal: Capitol Bureau Chief / Investigative Reporter (1991-1995)
- Cottage Grove Sentinel: Intern (1991)
- University of Oregon News Bureau: Hometown Writer (1990-1991)
- Oregon Daily Emerald: Freelance Writer (1989-1991)
Editing, Design and Photography.
CCI Newspaper Editing System, InDesign, Joomla, Computer-Assisted Reporting, Blogging, Internet Research, Facebook, Twitter, Excel, Word and other software.
Pentax K100 Digital Camera, Laptop Computer, Canon Digital Video Camera and Digital Audio Recorder.
Work Permits & Visas
Available upon request.
During my career, I've won more than two dozen local, state and national writing awards, including 2011 and 2012 Eddie Awards (Folio: magazine's prestigious journalism awards). As executive editor of Charisma, the magazine won two 2015 Charlie Awards (the top award from the Florida Magazine Association) for best overall writing and design, and two 2015 Folio: Eddie Awards' honorable mentions for full issues of Charisma. In 2004, I was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for a Los Angeles Daily News foster care series that contributed to what were described as "revolutionary" national reforms. In 1998, I won a national first place award from the Donrey Media Group for an investigative series in the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.
American Society of Journalists & Authors (ASJA)
Investigative Reporters & Editors