WHEN Materials available starting June 24
CERTIFICATE Use this course to earn a certificate in Copy Editing.
ALSO STARTS: Online - 8/5/2013
Remember sixth grade English class? We don't either.
Get a grammar refresher and learn the rules that matter and those you can break. This course will help you navigate best grammar and style practices to produce clear, concise and engaging copy for editorial, business, or creative writing.
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Understand the various parts of speech
- Make sure your subjects, verbs, and objects agree
- Ensure that punctuation serves the sentence
- Craft a perfect sentence
- Define of exactly what style is and why it differs from style guide to style guide
By the end of class, you will have:
Training in the fundamentals of grammar to improve your current and future writing projects.
- Lessons: Learn new skills through written lessons
- Discussion: Join a weekly live, interactive discussion via IM and video
- Assignments: Complete homework and receive instructor feedback
- Forums: Exchange resources, meet peers, and ask your instructor questions
While Gaylord has a definite opinion on use of the serial comma, he saves such discussions for parties.
"Gaylord was great! He knows the English language inside and out, and there was never a question he couldn't thoughtfully address." -- Steve Boudreault
"Gaylord was wonderful and his lectures were both entertaining and informative. He was knowledgeable, funny, and responsive." -- Lia Huber
"Gaylord was very knowledgeable, gracious, and kind. I greatly appreciated how he reviewed our assignments. For questions we got wrong, he not only marked them as such, he explained why." -- Todd Burger
"Gaylord knew precisely the right way of framing a grammar issue and helped make the nuances of the English language instantly clear. This is the self-editing class that everyone in media sorely needs." -- Ethan Stanislawski